The Hawaii Government Employees Association, AFSCME Local 152, AFL-CIO, is Hawaii’s largest union with nearly 40,000 members statewide. Public state and county employees are divided into 14 collective bargaining units and HGEA has exclusive representation of eight of these units.
- Unit 2 - Supervisory employees in blue-collar positions (730 members)
- Unit 3 - Non-supervisory employees in white-collar positions (15,500 members)
- Unit 4 - Supervisory employees in white-collar positions (830 members)
- Unit 6 - Educational officers (700 members)
- Unit 8 - Administrative, professional and technical employees of the University of Hawaii and the community colleges (1,820 members)
- Unit 9 - Registered professional nurses (1,490 members)
- Unit 13 - Professional and scientific employees (7,190 members)
- Unit 14 - Law enforcement officers, and ocean safety and water safety officers (760 members)
HGEA also services a large Associate membership, composed primarily of retirees, other state/county employees & officials and federal employees. Additional units include:
- Retirees - State and county government retirees (9,600 members)
- Excluded - Managerial and confidential employees (excluded from collective bargaining) serviced by AFSCME (1,100)
Click here to sign up for new membership.
Note: membership counts are approximate.